Monday, March 16, 2009

Single Parenthood Is Not Fun!

For the next three days, I'm a single mom. Brye is away on a business trip. It's not the first time he's gone out of town, but it is the first time he's gone during the week. Plus, being 7 1/2 months pregnant does not make this job any easier. We had a good morning. The three of us stopped for donuts on the way to daycare and then I dropped Brye off to get his rental car before his drive to San Antonio. After a long day at work, I pick Bex up and we are having a great time. He had no time-outs at school so he got to watch TV and we had cookies and chocolate milk for a snack. Well, that was my first mistake 'cause then he wouldn't eat his favorite food for dinner; burritos. In the middle of dinner (well, my dinner) he spills his full cup of chocolate milk on the floor. Here I am again 7 1/2 months pregnant on my hands and knees cleaning up chocolate milk and trying to keep the dog from licking it up. In the meantime, my dinner gets cold and all Bex can do is cry for more chocolate milk. He didn't get any. I then have to put the lid on the sippy cup, which I should have already done. He gets mad 'cause he wants to put the lid on it and throws the cup. We go to time out. Jodi calls in the middle of everything and Bex is screaming and not staying in time out which he never does. I finally get him out of time out and we go back to the table to try dinner again. Bex then attempts to get out of his chair. I tell him to sit down and if his feet touch the floor he's going back to time out. Back to time out we go. No more TV!! Dinner is finally over; he ate three bites.
It's a beautiful day today and honestly I don't want to deal with another tantrum since we can't watch TV so we go outside to play and have a great time. I didn't even have trouble getting him back in! Bex loves bathtime so that wasn't a problem until. . . . it's time to get out. Wait, let me back up. He did dump a full cup of water over the edge of the tub all over me and when he attempts it again I take the cup away which then had him purposely splashing water in my face which then had me immediately snatching him up out of the tub which then had him in another tantrum. He told me, "be nice momma" which had me laughing but I was still so mad at the little booger.
We got the teeth brushed with no problem but the punishment for a bad bath was no books at bedtime. We got PJ's on with no problem as well. We get in bed and I give him three books for him to read since mommy is not reading to him. It's right at 8:00 pm at this time. For about 10 minutes he does really well, reading to himself, talking, etc. Then I guess he realizes that mommy is not there and begins to cry. I hear him get up and open his bedroom door, something he very rarely does. By the time I get up he's halfway down the stairs. I pick him up and put him back in bed. He starts crying, "I want my daddy". I laid down with him and got sucked into at least singing songs. When I wouldn't read to him he told me, "you're not my friend" REALLY? The kid's only two!! So I try to reason with him and leave again. A few minutes later he's screaming, "momma". I ignore it and find him downstairs again. I take him upstairs and we get back in bed and here it comes, with crocidile tears, "I can't read my books by myself". How is a hormonal pregnant woman not supposed to give in at this point. We really need daddy!! We read three books, gave kisses and within five minutes he's asleep. It only took an hour, and I'm exhausted. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. I'll let you know!

No comments: