Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Survival

We have survived it. The last of the firsts is past us; the first birthday without her, the first holidays without her and the anniversary of her death is now behind us. My sister Jennifer said it best, it is no longer the day she died, it is her Heavenly Birthday and we have survived it. Over the past year I have realized from so many people how important and special my mom was to them. I know how special she was and still is to me but I've also realized how awesome and amazing my father is. This past weekend, on the anniversary of my mom's death, she was awarded as the Childress Chamber of Commerce Woman of the Year. My father and sisters and I accepted the award in her memory and it was my father's courage to speak to the 100's of people present about my mom. One thing he said was that we are now living a new normal. Things will never be as they were; our normal will now be a new normal. He is so strong and I love him so much. You can read the full story here! http://www.childressindex.com/content.asp?ID=1&A=1096

Something extremely interesting happened to me on the way to work yesterday. I don't know if it was irony, coincidence or just simply God speaking to me. I was watching the clock on my car because I knew 8:50 AM would roll around soon. That was the approximate time of my mom's death. Well it did and at 8:53 AM, the song "I Can Only Imagine" came on the radio. This song was sung at my mom's funeral and has been very special to me and my family ever since. I couldn't believe it. I, of course, began to cry after trying to sing along. I had to call Jennifer and talk through it. I couldn't change the channel but nor could I listen to it. I don't know why that happened to me but it really was something special.

I want to say a special thank you to those who also remembered this weekend was a tough weekend for us, it means a lot that you also still remember. Thanks.

2 comments:

MammaBotos said...

god bless you girl! I think of you and the girls often. take care

Ashley said...

I've thought about you guys all year long and will continue to remember you.